We have been to the Sin City, gomorrah and cathouse of Thailand: Pattaya. People told us the scariest and most awkward stories about this place but actually it was really nice and a lovely stay. I mean it is not a holiday destination for families with kids or upper class glitterati but absolutely acceptable for a weekend getaway when you are craving for the beach in the desert of the muggy city Bangkok.
Still a lot of people do not get along with Pattaya saying that it is the place where the human scum comes together. For me it was indeed a vibrant city and I loved watching all these interesting people on the Walking Street. I have seen things that I have never seen in Thailand before and that makes it in my eyes fascinating.
Still a lot of people do not get along with Pattaya saying that it is the place where the human scum comes together. For me it was indeed a vibrant city and I loved watching all these interesting people on the Walking Street. I have seen things that I have never seen in Thailand before and that makes it in my eyes fascinating.
But let`s start with the beginning...
| Pinnacle Jomtien Resort |
In the middle of July we had another long public holiday weekend in Thailand (these are the perks of living here) and I had like I said a real longing for the sea. The sand under your feet, the breeze from the ocean, the salt on your lips. A word and a blow. Two nights in the Grand Pinnacle Jomtien Resort which is located a bit further from the city at the Jomtien beach. It is a nice proper hotel although the outer appearence is poor and shabby. Inside indeed the rooms are full of light. The welcoming of the staff reminded me of vacations in Spain where everyone speaks German. In our case they spoke German, Russian and English. Indeed this is an exception in Thailand. Normally you can feel happy to have English-speaking workers. They were prepared for their clients - obviously the hotel was packed with Russians, Germans and English - hallelujah!
| The hotel did not have one pool, it did not have two pools but three pools in number! |
We explored the hotel area like we always do when we arrive. They have three (!) pools, a direct beach access, several bars and restaurants, a tailorman, a travel agency and the shuttle bus service. This was not a hotel but a village. Seriously. The day faded away while we were having some drinks at the bar, looking over the beach and calming down from our exhausting drive.
Dear Thais, may I introduce you to the driving mirror?
| Jomtien beach |
| Beach dog |
The first evening we met up with friends who were randomly at the same time in Pattaya. So we waited for the bus to bring us to the centre. While waiting we were enjoying the most beaming blue eyes I have ever seen and they belong to this adorable creature.
| Like looking into the sky. |
The next morning...
Saturday we spent on Koh Larn, a small island offshore of Pattaya. I will blog about that seperately so that you do not get slammed with so much text and pictures here on my little space of internet.
We came back in the evening and walked along the amazing beachside promenade of Pattaya, watching the sun set. The promenade is for example something I have never seen anywhere around Thailand yet. A real, proper promenade like on Ibiza or Majorca. I really enjoyed it there. The water sports in front of the horizone, the colours and the licking waves. Pattaya, you blow us away.
I know it is cheesy but this is life. Unfortunately we did not consider that we were going there during a public BUDDHISM holiday which actually means that there is no alcohol thus all the bars are closed. Pity! I would have loved to see the Pattaya nighlife on a regular weekend but like this we just had a lot weaker version. However we sat in a bar (drinking cola for sure) and just watched all these crazy, random people going by. Foreigners, ladyboys, prostitutes, bachelor party people and guys like you and me. It was bracing! Where else in the world can you see so much diversity?
Before we left on Sunday, we went to the Floating Market. Have I mentioned that I adore these shopping places?
| Really? |
So yes, Pattaya is not bad but travel is a matter of subjectivity. Maybe it was because we have been there when it was very calm or maybe it is really not as cruel as everyone says. Just go and check out yourself otherwise you will never now.

Thank you for writing this. It helped me to plan my day today in pattaya.
ReplyDeleteHello Anurag! I am happy to have you hear on my blog. Hope you had a great time in Pattaya.
Deletexxx
Amazing! I cannot wait to go here one day soon :) Thanks for sharing all of your beautiful images xo C
ReplyDeleteYou will hopefully enjoy it as much as I did. Thank you for kicking my ass every week with your amazing fitness classes!
Delete