Back from Cambodia

April 11, 2014 | |

Dear readers, I am back from Cambodia and got a lot of new impressions and experiences to share with you. Let me first tell you that Cambodia and I did not have a good start. My travel to that country was not really voluntary but I had to go there for some visa issues. Who is more interested in that topic can check out Bangkok Buddy Travel Service. This agency is reliable and helpful when it comes to visa troubles in Thailand. We went there on a sunday early in the morning (and by early I mean 4 am!) with an air conditioned luxurious van. We crossed the boarder after 4 hours driving and finished up in Poipet. I never felt so far away from my comfortzone. My boyfriend was not with me because he was on a business travel. Poipet is a city of 35.000 people and an important border with Thailand. Salesmen carrying their goods in vehicles back and forth the gate. 

Gate to Cambodia


Right behind that gate there is a tiny Las Vegas. In Thailand gambling is strictly prohibited. In between Thailand and Cambodia there is a spezial zone where it is allowed for Thai people without going to Cambodia. Our hotel was at the same time a casino. I know that this might sound glamourous and exciting but in fact this place was hopeless and all players looked tired sitting at their slot machines. I came to Cambodia with no precise picture in my mind. Well, cannot be too different from Thailand, can it? I was mistaken. A taxi driver told me later that he was born and grew up in Poipet. Unfortunately he has never been on the other side of the border because the Cambodian passport is not affordable for him. I still have heartache when I think about this lovely and honest guy. Cambodia is one of the poorest countries in the World. As I was walking down the street later in the evening looking for a supermarket, I did not believe my eyes.

streets of Poipet

It`s not just that it looked like 100 years behind Thailand, it actually is. After a motorbike driver dropped me at a market hall with smelling meat and whole watermelons all over he told me this would be a "supermarket". I headed back to the hotel and stayed there for my whole trip (except for Angkor Wat). I am not that kind of girlie, but I could even smell the alcohol in the driver`s breath. The cars were honking, it was loud, dirty, garbage all over the sidewalks and no fresh street food far and wide. I went to sleep early craving for food and exhausted.

The next day the guide from the agency picked me up at 6 am for our trip to the Angkor Wat. Everyone told me I should take the chance and see it. We drove by taxi 2 hours to Siem Reap. On my way I saw wooden houses, people hanging around, poor infrastructure, agriculture, a lot of children and the driver honked at everything and everyone (why are they doing this?).
Cambodia drew my interest. I did some research on the internet and read history. The country of Khmer was a French colony until 1945, then the Vietnam War happened in the neighbouring country and shortly after that the terror regime of the Red Khmer lasted until 1979.
Until 1999 political turmoils set paticularly the capital Phnom Penh on fire. I was looking for an answer why they are to different to my beloved Thailand and here I got it.
This amazing country suffered from all these events in the past and is still there. It made me want to cry and still does. Around the temples of Angkor Wat there are so many beggar children and they are so pushy, coming back again and again showing you magnets, postcards and bracelets. Please treat them nice even when they annoy you. It is not their fault growing up in a desperate country.

Angkor Thom-Bayon

The Angkor Wat temple is a huge complex of felt thousands of temples. The guide took me to three of them. The first one was the Bayon temple famous for its smiling faces on the upper terrace. It was built in the 12th century.

My "walking boots"

Standing on those old remains from the past amazed me. How did people build these gorgeous buildings with the possibilities back in 1200? Angkor is the main attraction in Siem Reap and probably throughout Cambodia, that is why there were so many tourists with me on these steps. Everyone had to stop for taking pictures. Especially Indians and Chinese have a strong liking for that. Asian people are always acting weird about my appearance. Some of them like to take photos with me. Suddenly they sit next to me and smile so lovely that I simply have to agree for a snapshot. Other times they call me "Biuuuuutiful" when I am passing along.
Back in Germany my beauty is on average. There are days I like my mirror reflection and there are days I rather stay in bed. That`s how most people feel, isn`t it?

tower of Bayon

It is nothing to be proud of when they ask me for a photo. Like in Germany we would be happy to see a tanned latina girl. Around the temples there were Tuk-Tuks, buses, vans, taxis and... elephants. That was new to me. For only 10 USD you could take a ride. US Dollar is the usual currency even if they have the Cambodian Riel. 1 EUR is approximately 5.500 Riel. Maybe you see the point why it is much easier to let the tourists pay in USD. I did not change money, Thai baht was accepted as well. The next temple they took me was the Ta Prohm temple. Ta Prohm has been left in the same conditions since 1200 and the surrounding jungle and trees growing out of the ruins make this place photogenic and incredible for visitors. Nature reclaimed the stones back. Trees growing upon the remains with aerial roots.

elephant ride

Ta Prohm temple

The entrance fee for the Angkor Wat is 20 USD and they take a photo of you. So you get a personalized entrance card which you have to keep with you all the time. I recommend you by all means a vehicle! I have also seen some people on bicycles but you really need one to overcome the distances between the attractions. The Ta Prohm is about 2 km away from Angkor Wat... which was our last beautiful stop. The UNESCO World Heritage Site is a symbol of Cambodia appearing on its national flag. It was first Hindu, then Buddhist and finally a religious momument. There are a lot of guides in the corridors of the temple and they speak a lot of languages. I listened to English, French and German. Just stood a little remote from a group and secretly listened. Come on, do not tell me you would not have done it.

Entrance of Angkor Wat

Surrounding lake of Angkor Wat

Gallery




Let me give you a hint before I close with this post. In the galleries and corridors of all these beautiful temples I have seen a lot of disabled old people who needed support on their way up the stairs. It was cool between the thick stones but outside hot as hell. They lost a lot of water and struggled with their body aches and pains. I don`t mind waiting for those people and I am appreciating their courage undertaking these tours at their age. But do you believe it is really fun for them? Dying at the end of the day and seeing the queue getting longer and longer behind you?
If you are in good shape, healthy and young - do travel. I can not say it more often. In old age you will regret buying that new tv instead of climbing up the stairs of Angkor Wat. Realize your dreams now and not "sometimes". Sometimes will be in 40 years, retired and handicapped. That is when you need the new tv.

2 comments:

  1. tolle eindrücke, da bekommt man sofort fernweh:)

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate every comment.

 
Design by Tenzi, Decemberblog