Glamping in Khao Yai Nationalpark

April 27, 2014 | |

Once the travel bug bites there is no known antidote. True words. This month from the 13 to 15th april the Songkran Festival took place in Thailand. A festival for New Year where everyone is throwing water at each other. Children sit next to grown-ups at the back of pick-ups with water guns in their hands and they are merciless. It`s a state of exception and a lot of fun! Moreover it is a national holiday and many people from Bangkok go on vacation. On the islands in the South it is even more crazy and you are happy when you bought your ticket early in advance. We started our planning spontaneous and that is why we did not choose an island. I mean 200 Euro for a flight ticket with worst times for departure and arrival? No, thanks. After looking around on the internet for a nice place not too far from Bangkok I found our travel destination: the Khao Yai Nationalpark.
A natural paradise and the third largest park in Thailand with evergreen forest and grasslands, elephants, monkeys, black bears, a lot of waterfalls and even tigers.




Inside our Boutique tent

But we did not choose an average hotel for our nights. We foolish guys booked a Boutique Tent in the Phuwanalee Resort Khao Yai. I was so excited about this experience. You cannot be closer to nature, can you? It has the comfort of a 4-5 Star hotel room, room service, a bathroom and even an air-condition but it is still a tent. Our sleeping quality was good though the jungle around us is noisy in the night. The temperature was pleasent chilly under the thicket so we just turned on the fan during night. On our day of arrival (2 hours drive from Bangkok) we just moved into our new beautiful home for the next days and explored the beautiful hotel garden which is typical Thai (remember the productive land). I am always amazed by their passion for details.


Lovely bond in hotel gardens


Lost in the beauty of nature

The evening we were looking for a place to eat. Nearby the hotel there are many restaurants and a little cute shopping place looking like Italy. They have built a place where you really feel like walking in the narrow streets of a European city at the Mediterranean Sea. Red facades, vintage shop plates and pizzerias! You would not believe any longer that you are in the middle of Thailand.
But we decided to stay with Asian food and tried MK for the first time. This is a famous chain in Asia offering Chinese food. In the middle of your table you get a cooking pot with hot water and order your makings for your own dish. Meat, vegetables, wontons, noodles - whatever the heart wishes for. You mash it all together in the pot and dip it in a delicious sauce and enjoy! The meat is so tender, absolutely delicious!

MK restaurant

The next day we drove down the road to the Khao Yai Nationalpark, our true destination. It is just around the corner, we needed around 10 minutes. The entry fee is 400 THB (10 Euro) per foreigner and 50THB extra for the vehicle. A bitumenized road leads through the entire nationalpark! I actually is a oneway-street so you have to turn around at the end to come back. We got a monochrome map at the reception of our hotel but we did not look into it one single time. The park is easy to understand with a lot of street signs pointing at the attractions. The first stop was a viewpoint over the mountains and the valley.

All shades of green you can imagine

street through NP

The area of Khao Yai includes 300 square kilometres and even if you pass it with a car there is enough to hike - believe me. We made this experience the next time we stopped. A beautiful hiking trail with red sand was waiting for us. This time we were better prepared because we tooled up with hiking equipment the weekend before. Bagpacks, wander shoes (or at least runner shoes) and a brandnew waterproof bag in case of heavy rain. Later we were thankful for this idea. But on our way to the observation tower we were happy and enjoyed the gorgeous nature and the colour play of green and red around us. 

hiking trail to observation tower
observation tower

From the tower we looked to a salt lick at the river. The workers of Khao Yai put salt and minerals few times a year to a kind of bulge next to the river. It attract the elephants. They come and lick off the salts. It is good for their health. Unfortunately the hunting mammals in the forest are intelligent and wait in the thicket for their bag. We did not saw one single elephant during our stay. I know they exist in the park. Wild Asian elephants. I keep the dream in my heart that I see them one day somewhere.
After a few minutes resting we decided to move on deeper into the forest. We saw hikers on the opposite of the river. Nothing stays undiscovered from us. Bravely we followed their steps.

mirror like river surface

Do you see the dark clouds up there in the sky? We also did though wandered on and on. The rain came. In torrents. We were soaking wet in one minute. The camera stuff was protected in our waterproof bag. What a luck! It seemed forever till we came back to our car. Wringing out our clothes and laughing, we stood under a hut. I mean, I have stories for my grandchildren. We turned up the air condition and stayed in the car on the next parking waiting for the rain to stop. Trying to dry our wears with the ventilation. 

talent for improvisation

One hour later we were ready to explore the next great spot: The Haeo Suwat Waterfall. The Khao Yai Nationalpark is famous for its beautiful waterfalls. This one had an easy access with stone steps down the hill. The streaming water stir Florians blood - one photo shot after the other. I love waterfalls, could observe the peaceful movement of water forever.


second stage of waterfall

To keep it short and go on with the pictures, I tell you that we went straight on to the next waterfall; the Haeo Narok Waterfall. This was our last point this day. We were lucky that we had two more days to discover more beautiful places in Khao Yai. One day is definitely not enough! Probably 4 weeks is not enough but 3 days give you an idea of the greatness. We are always looking out for wild animals and this day we saw Sambar deers, monkeys, lizards and many traces (alias poo) from elephants.




elephant fence

Okay, wait. There is a story behind this elephant fence. On our walking way to the next waterfall which was about 2 km we stumbled over this fence made out of stone pillars. On top of it cute elephant figures. We read the sign nearby. A few years ago a tragedy took place in this part of the park. The elephants crossed the river and felt into the water. They struggled with the current and were not able to escape the stream. 7 of these unique creatures died. To prevent such a catastrophe they built this fence so that the elephants stay behind in safety. Lovely story, isn`t it?

Haeo Narok waterfall carry little water



exhausted in bed after day one

The next adventure lurks around every corner. The second day we found a secret hiking trail. Not signposted and we just found it accidentally. Not knowing how long this walk would be, we started without all our equipment, I did even just wear flip-flops. Our adventurous spirit tempted us to go deeper and deeper into the jungle. This trail was magique. The path was often built around tree trunks, roots, stones and we had to climb the obstacles or go beneath them. It was incredible!

Keep the balance!
stream course

We only met few persons on our way and these few made us feel secure for the case we get lost or hurt. But all in all we had the nature paradise only for us. The word amazing does not describe it. We followed the stream course of a small river and discovered the stages of another great waterfall. Climbing up the stones was tricky with only flip-flops on and the rain surprised us again but we did not mind. We were too busy admiring the beauty of Khao Yai. 


Do you know the most disguisting animal in the world? You consider probably spiders, insects, bats or snakes but you are mistaken. I tell you the scariest creature under the sun: bloodsuckers!
We climbed the wet rocks, stood sometimes in flat water and moist leaves and guess who is living in these waters? We found them on our way back to the car. I never screamed so girlish. Fortunately I could prevent myself from being biten. They were only at my shoes. Florian was out of luck. One bit him in the ankle. With a reflex he chip the worm off. Late we read in the internet not to do so but who would stare and let them drink your blood? The wound bleed like mad.

way back through jungle
Sonja in Wonderland
sweetest concentrated face expression

chasm

When we finally reached our car we were welcomed by a little thief. His stolen good: a sour mango. But who would grant him his sweet treat? They are such fascinating animals. Doesn`t he look like a human eating something too sour? The movement, the hands and sometimes the behaviour reminds of our fellow men. 

monkey eating mango

This post is getting longer and longer.. sorry. Simply have to leave it for posterity. Our last highlight in the Khao Yai Nationalpark was a cliff viewpoint. I am not so sure if it is named Pha Diew Die. Believe it or not, not everything stands in the internet and the map is not too detailed.
We hiked over wooden planks to high-lying stone cliffs with a stunning view! A great final for our second day.

pleasant wooden hiking trail

Afraid of heights?


The last day we spend in our resort. They have a nice little pool, frangipani trees, a beautiful garden and friendly staff. I felt very comfortable during our stay. In the afternoon we were following the street signs guiding to the Khao Yai Floating Market. We know this kind of Market from our vacation in Hua Hin but we were disappointed. The shops were empty or closed, the atmosphere kitschy and I felt like on the Neverland Ranch of Michael Jackson. In the evening we found a nice French look-alike restaurant. They have a weakness for this architecture in Khao Yai. 

Little France in Thailand
The happy traveller

I am absolutely happy with my life at the moment. Am I allowed to say this as German? I don`t know but it is true. Everyday I enjoy the little moments and I wake up with a smile. In summer my study programm starts and I am looking forward to this new stage in my life. I work now and then with translation and proofreading stuff for a network marketing company plus I have enough time for myself, I try new sports (would have never thought yoga would be so difficult!), manage our growing amount of travel pictures, plan our travels and be a tourist in my own city Bangkok. I love it.



2 comments:

  1. Anonymous5/11/2014

    Dein englisch ist übertrieben gut

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate every comment.

 
Design by Tenzi, Decemberblog