Needless to say that Thailand is the nation of foodism. Honestly, food is a topic all over the country. Back in Germany they often asked me what I eat here and how much my stomach tolerates it.
Well, I love Thai food and I hazard the consequences, let`s keep it to that. So I have gone through all my pictures to show you delicious treats from Thai cuisine. Anyhow it is an important part of their daily life. Thais even often ask me if I am hungry or if I have already eaten lunch. They mean it in a polite way (at least I hope so). Because it is hot and humid all year long in Thailand, it is even more
important to keep your body fueled and hydrated with liquids. Though I
know it is not good to have drinks with ice, I cannot resist when I am
outside and see all the coffeeshops and tea bars luring with refreshments.
1) iced coffee
2) mojito cocktails
3) coconut juice
4) watermelon shake
2) mojito cocktails
3) coconut juice
4) watermelon shake
Iced coffee is a kind of national drink. In every imaginable sort around every corner you find these yummy beverages. The dirty secret? Sweet condensed milk.
Here in Bangkok people often eat in a
group outside. We live in the number one country going out for
breakfast, lunch and dinner and every meal in between. Most apartments even do not have a kitchen (they usually have a tiny pantry). When they order,
it is not like in Europe where everyone has one single main dish but a
feast of 4-5 fares in the middle of the table. Every guest has a blank
plate in front and they share all the food. So you can try everything on
the table. That is such a great way to experience new tastes and
dishes! The cuisine combines a lot of herbs like coriander, lemon grass, ginger, basil, tamarinde, mince, curry and chilli.
1) Tom Kha Gai (coconut milk soup with shrimps or chicken)
2) flat rice noodles with vegetables and shrimps
3) Goeng Kiau Wan Gai (green curry with shrimps or chicken, egg and peas)
4) rice with curry powder shrimps
2) flat rice noodles with vegetables and shrimps
3) Goeng Kiau Wan Gai (green curry with shrimps or chicken, egg and peas)
4) rice with curry powder shrimps
These meals cost between 60-80 THB which is extremely cheap and they are all delicious, trust me. On every table your find 4 spices to jazz up: dried shredded red chillis, sour vinegar and Nam Pla, a salty fish sauce. Do not forget to say mai peht if you do not like to eat spicy and peht nidnoi for only a bit fire in your Thai dish. These pics above were all taken in restaurants. It is hard to cook yourself when all the makings you need are 10 times more expensive than going out and order in a taan aahan. Still we sometimes stay inside and make food on our own. Just because.
1) delivery salad
2) German Brotzeit
3) our first try to cook Thai (it was okay)
4) muesli for breakfast
Ah.. we truly live in food paradise. It is always available, 24/7, delivery services from McDonalds (what, did that come from my mouth?) to Swensen`s (ice cream heaven). I have to stay strong and overcome temptation sometimes. German breakfast is still a must. I cannot start my day with warm rice. By the by, my tummy asks for food. This post made me hungry. Let`s go out and see what to eat next.




Aah too funny - I have to shamefully admit we've also gotten the delivery McDonalds from time to time, usually after a big night out or when we're feeling too hungover the next day. Mojitos are definitely my go-to drink and I have to say that pad see eiw is my all-time favorite Thai dish. We've been doing a lot of cooking lately in an effort to be healthy, but now you've got my mouth watering for an all-out street food extravaganza!
ReplyDeletexxx Amanda
thetravallure.com
Oh, das sieht alles sehr lecker aus...mein Exfreund war Thailänder und dessen Mutter hat auch immer extrem feine Sachen gekocht :)
ReplyDeleteDie Thailänder verstehen was vom Kochen, das muss man ihnen lassen :)
Delete